Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guardian Angels




When it comes to people who have made a significant, positive difference in my life I think of two very special souls, my brother-in-law, Djahangir, and my high school principal, Kurt Westlund.

I remember how my brother-in-law one day took me out for a walk. He spoke to me as an equal, "Tell me, what do you think about this issue?" With a care and sincerity to allow me space, and patient attention to listen. He was the first adult in my life to treat me that way. I felt empowered. He communicated that I wasn't there to accommodate myself to him. I was free to speak my mind. I was treated with respect. For someone to care enough to take time to help a young man to come out of his shell. How invaluable it can be. What a remarkable investment!

During senior high school I served as the chairman of the students’ council. In the course of those years I had the privilege to work closely with our headmaster, Kurt Westlund. He took me under his wing and mentored me. The first encounter that comes to my mind was when I had saved money to buy a rather expensive book on the topic of education and pedagogics. I had just bought the book when I arrived at a scheduled conference. During the break Kurt saw the book and asked if he could have a look at it.

"You bought this?! How did you afford it?"

I told him I had saved money from my own weekly allowance.

"Come with me," he told me. We went over to the reception where he told his secretary to cover the expenses for the book. I was taken aback. He had seen my interest and commitment and made the choice to support and encourage it.

There were many other such acts of courtesy, care and encouragement through the years. But the last one stays with me. I had gone over to the principal's office to notify Kurt that I wouldn't make for the graduation as I was heading for Philadelphia a week earlier. "We can't leave it at that, can we?" he said and invited me out for dinner, just the two of us. And so we went together to a nice restaurant where we dined and spoke. A delightful afternoon. When we came back he presented me with a certificate. I was amazed by what I read. He had seen something in me that I then couldn't see in myself.

My deepest thanks goes to these two remarkable human beings, two guardian angels the Beloved put on my path to inspire and empower me. They affirmed and mirrored me during those stormy years of adolescence so I could begin to believe in myself. For that I'm profoundly indebted to both of them.

2 comments: