Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saintly Favor




On the last days of my stay in New York at the Bhakti Center last October I had a very touching exchange with His Holiness Radhanatha Maharaja. He has been a constant source of inspiration and guidance for me. I felt indebted, and eager for his kind wishes.

Ten years earlier I had the fortune to meet Srila Bhakti Tirtha Swami but sadly it wasn't until he left this world that I realized how closely his understaning and preaching focus resonated with my own. I never got to approach him personally to request his blessings and that is a loss I have to live with. That is why I felt concerned to approach Radhanatha Swami before fickle time would separate us.

I decided the best way for me to convey my heart to him was by putting it in writing and personally handing him the letter. I wrote about the order I had received from my spiritual master and the vision I cherished in my heart,

"I've learnt that people primarily long for personal growth and well-being, rich relationships, vocational alignment, and genuine spiritual experience in life, and these are what they look for when they meet us, whether we are more mature, balanced and fulfilled individually than they are, whether we have a stronger unity, warmth and fellowship amongst each other than they have, whether we are able to express and live our unique calling in life, and whether the spiritual presence amongst us is more tangible and real than what they have felt in other places. These are the kinds of experiences I want to make possible in our community and preaching in Sweden. I want to unleash the unique depth, beauty and potency of Gaudiya spirituality, for it to have a dynamic presence in the mainstream society, making a vast and lasting impact."

I signed the letter and placed it in an envelope. I went to the 6th floor and as Maharaja was coming to his room from the bathroom, I approached him.

"Radhanatha Maharaja."

"Yes", he said, as he turned toward me.

"This is for you."

He graciously accepted the envelope and thanked me.

Happy at heart I offered my obeisance and proceeded to the temple room on the 2nd floor to chant japa. As I entered I found the room empty, so I sat in the back by the entrance and began chanting while savoring the shimmering view of Radha Murlidhara.

It couldn't have passed more than ten minutes when suddenly the temple door opened and Radhanatha Maharaja stepped in. Before I could collect myself, he came toward me.

"Thank you for your beautiful letter," he said.

"Oh, you've already read it. That was fast..."

He took me into his embrace.

"You have an empowered vision. I will pray for you, " he told me.

I was so moved and profoundly grateful. I knew this was one of those sacred moments in my life where something very important was taking place. The good wishes of such an exalted vaisnava could enable even a poor, incapable soul like me to dedicate myself to the mission of Srila Prabhupada.

The very next day I had packed everything and was ready to head for Newark Airport. I went over to the temple room to have one last darsana of Their Lordships. As I stepped out of the room I saw Radhanatha Maharaja coming up the stairs. I approached him to offer my respects and take his leave.

"Oh, you're leaving so soon?"

I payed my obeisance. As I stood up he embraced me again. Not wanting to overstep the bounds of propriety I was about to let go, but he kept me in his loving fold. As he gently rubbed my head he said, "May Srila Prabhupada's and Sriman Mahaprabhu's mercy be upon you."

I felt lost in gratitude, so sanctified and at peace in his embrace. A soul connection. With all my heart I thanked him and took my leave.
"My path is very difficult. I am blind, and my feet are slipping again and again. Therefore, may the saints help me by granting me the stick of their mercy as my support." (Srila Krishnadasa Kaviraja)

2 comments:

  1. wonderful experiences you have had.you must be blessed by the lord of Varsana himself.Spirituality has no boundaries, it is limitless and universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Surekha! I couldn't agree more, there is no sectarianism in real spirituality.

    ReplyDelete