Saturday, September 3, 2011

In Prabhupada's Quarters


November 14, 2007 - Sri Vrindavana

It was Srila Prabhupada's disappearance day. I went over to the temple room where to my surprise they played Prabhupada singing Vibhavari-sesa over the loudspeakers.

I have noticed this very special, loving attachment Prabhupada's disciples have for him. Whenever they intimately remember him you can sense this deep longing in them to be back in his association again. It just gives me an idea of what a remarkable personality Srila Prabhupada must have been to be able to touch so many so deeply. Personally, whenever I hear Prabhupada sing I get a glimpse of his unique personality.

Later in the evening there was a special arrangement reserved for Srila Prabhupada's disciples in his personal quarters, where he had departed 30 years ago. Other devotees could in a parikrama fashion walk through the rooms and have a short darsana of Srila Prabhupada. In a somber mood I reverentially stepped into the room. The atmosphere was spiritually unparalleled! The room was copiously decorated with flowers and packed with Prabhupada's disciples and other senior devotee. Kirtana was being led by Aindra Prabhu.

I had to keep on walking and proceeded out of the room. When outside I inquired whether I could do the parikrama again. They told me I could take darsana as many times as I wanted. And so I kept walking in and out, until the exact time for Srila Prabhupada's departure arrived. The lights were dimmed and the doors to Prabhupada’s main room were shut closed. By Krishna's grace I ended up right outside the door, inside Prabhupada's quarter. I could hear one disciple inside singing the Gurvastaka and aratika was performed to Srila Prabhupada.

As I was meditating upon the meaning of the song and thinking of Srila Prabhupada I became overwhelmed with feelings. I felt appreciation for Prabhupada's precious gift, deep admiration for the person he was, terribly lost and alone in his absence. I sincerely prayed to Srila Prabhupada to empower me to help preserve and perpetuate his spiritual legacy to the world in whatever humble extend I could. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

No comments:

Post a Comment